Kolkata Temples Church and Mosque
Kalighat Kali Temple
It is one of the most important shrines of goddess Kali and a major site of Shakti worship in the country. The temple was originally built in 1809, at Kalighat on the banks of the river Hugli and enshrines an awe-inspiring black stone idol of goddess Kali decorated with gold and silver.
It is the international headquarters of the Ramkrishna Mission. Swami Vivekananda established the shrine in 1899, by placing the ashes of Sri Ramkrishna at this spot. The unique architecture of the shrine reflects the message of religious fraternity, as it represents a church, a temple and a mosque, when viewed from different angles. The Sri Ramkrishna Museum was set up with the assistance of the National Council of Science Museum. It houses articles associated with Sri Ramkrishna, Ma Sarada and Swami Vivekananda.
Dakshineswar Kali Temple
The famous temple built in 1847, by Rani Rashmoni on the other side of Hugli River is associated with Sri Ramkrishna, who attained enlightenment over here. The main shrine known as the Navaratna Temple enshrine a silver lotus with thousand petals, on which is placed the idol of Goddess Kali, standing on the prostrate body of Lord Shiva. The complex also has twelve temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Sitambara Jain Temple
This magnificent temple is dedicated to Sheetalnathji, the 10th Jain tirthankar. It was built in 1867 and is a collection of four pagodas like shrines set in geometrical gardens and ponds.
The beautiful temple near Gariahat market was built in 26 years at a cost of about 180 million rupees and inaugurated in 1996. Its excellent architecture blends traditional artistry with modern technology.
It was built in 1724, by Cavond, an Armenian and is one of the oldest churches in Kolkata.
St. Paul’s Cathedral
The city was built between 1839 and 1847 in Indo-Gothic style. Other important churches are, St. John’s Church etc.
It is located to the north of BBD Bagh and is the largest mosque in Kolkata. The present structure was built by Abdur Rahim Osman in 1942.