Thirumalai Naick Palace

Thiurmalai Naick Palace is one of the important interesting places in Madurai.  It is about 1km South-East of the Meenakshi Amman Temple.  This graceful palace was constructed in Indo-Saracenic style by King thirumalai Naick in 1636 AD. Thia palace once again illustrates the architectural mastery of the Naick.  What remains of the palace is an open courtyard surrounded by numerous tall pillars connected by highly decorative arches.  This palace has carved dome that soars without the support of girder or rafters.  The stucco work on its domes and arches are remarkable.  This building we see today only the main palace where the King lived.  The original Palace complex was four times bigger than the present structure.  The Palace is kept open to the public form 9.00 am to 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm to 5.00pm.  A sound and light programme depicting the story of Thirumalai Naick and of Silappathikaram is organised here daily at 6.45 pm to 9.00 pm.

Quickly Find What You Are Looking For